Simpson’s Top New Productions, Innovations & Building Solutions
Originally published by: Simpson Strong-Tie — December 1, 2020
The following article was produced and published by the source linked to above, who is solely responsible for its content. SBC Magazine is publishing this story to raise awareness of information publicly available online and does not verify the accuracy of the author’s claims. As a consequence, SBC cannot vouch for the validity of any facts, claims or opinions made in the article.
Simpson Strong-Tie, the leader in engineered structural connectors and building solutions, today released its annual Year in Review List, highlighting major new product launches, structural engineering solutions, and other industry innovations introduced over the past twelve months.
New building solutions introduced by Simpson Strong-Tie in 2020 included product innovations for applications in construction materials ranging from light-frame and mass timber to concrete and masonry and cold-formed steel — all developed to help engineers, architects, installers, and homeowners design and build safer, stronger residential and commercial structures.
- Pergola Planner Software™: Featuring 3D software, design guides, and an in-app user tutorial, the free web-based design software provides a suite of intuitive tools and resources for designing and building stronger, more beautiful pergolas, dream backyards, and outdoor spaces.
- Outdoor Accents® Avant Collection™: The newest addition to the Outdoor Accents line of code-listed decorative wood connectors and fasteners is designed to provide contractors, homebuilders, and DIYers with the essential hardware for incorporating both timeless beauty and tested strength into any outdoor living space.
Building with CLT and Other Mass Timber Products
- Mass Timber Connectors and Fasteners: Backed by a robust inventory and distribution system, along with first-rate service, support, and training, the collection of versatile, high-performance products will allow for design flexibility while enabling mass timber projects to be built stronger, faster, and more easily than ever.
Fasteners and Cordless Driving Systems
- SDPW Strong-Drive® Deflector Screw: The line of fasteners designed to connect non-load-bearing, full-height partition-wall top plates to trusses or joists features an innovative polymer sleeve to allow vertical movement without squeaks and provides both lateral resistance and the ability for walls to deflect with the truss or joist.
- Quik Drive® Cordless: Designed to improve speed, reliability, and user comfort for a wide variety of fastening applications, the lightweight version of the Quik Drive cordless system features quick-loading screw strips, precise countersink adjustment, and the patented Quik Drive auto-advance mechanism.
Multistory Wood Structures
- RTUD Ratcheting Take-Up Device: Engineered to provide a superior wood-shrinkage and construction-gap compensation solution for continuous rod systems that resist uplift or overturning in multistory wood structures, the RTUD prevents gaps between floors and provides anchoring for improved structural performance with minimal deflection.
Underwater Pile Restoration
- FX-70® Same-Day Repair: As the newest element in the FX-70 system — the first in-place repair and protection solution for damaged concrete, steel, and wood piles— the FX-70-6FS fast-set epoxy bottom seal offers a three-component, moisture-tolerant epoxy to facilitate same-day filling of underwater fiberglass pile jackets.
Systems for Lateral Resistance
- Portal Frame System: Simpson Strong-Tie received code listing from the International Code Council Evaluation Services (ICC-ES) for its Strong-Wall® site-built portal frame system designed to provide builders and framers in prescriptive markets with an easy way to meet code-defined wall bracing requirements when building narrow walls.
- Yield-Link® Moment Connection: Newly validated slope beam and multi-axis moment applications were added to the innovative Yield-Link moment connection that requires no field welding and allows beams to be designed to absorb forces in a seismic or high-wind event without supplemental lateral bracing.
Cold-Formed Steel Construction
- WBAC Wood Backing Steel Connector: Answering contractor demand for an all-in-one wood-to-CFS connector for interior and finish applications, the WBAC provides a strong, easy-to-install, versatile solution that’s ideal for heavy wall hangings like cabinets, shelves and handrails.
For more information on Simpson Strong-Tie building solutions and breaking news, including product photography and news releases detailing 2020 contributions to charitable causes and to community and industry growth, visit news.strongtie.com.