Kingspan High R-value Phenolic Insulation for Basements
Originally published by: Kingspan — September 17, 2019
The following article was produced and published by the source linked to above, who is solely responsible for its content. SBC Magazine is publishing this story to raise awareness of information publicly available online and does not verify the accuracy of the author’s claims. As a consequence, SBC cannot vouch for the validity of any facts, claims or opinions made in the article.
Kingspan recently introduced Kooltherm K9 Internal Insulation Board, a premium performance insulation product used for interior exposed application on basement, crawlspace, attic and habitable space walls. With an R-value of 8-1/2 per inch, it has a higher R-value per inch than any commonly used insulation.
Insulation Boards installed with glass fiber tissue facing the interior of the attic or crawl space may be used for walls and ceilings of attic or crawl spaces without an ignition barrier required by IBC Section 2603.4.1.6, or IRC Sections R316.5.3 or R316.5.4, when all of the following conditions are met:
- Entry to the attic or crawl space shall be only to service utilities and no storage is permitted. Utilities include, but are not limited to, mechanical equipment, electrical wiring, fans, and gas or electric hot water heaters and furnaces.
- There shall be no interconnected attic or basement areas.
- Air in the attic or crawl space shall not circulated to other parts of the building.
- Combustion air shall be provided in accordance with IMC (International Mechanical Code) Section 701.
- The insulation is limited to a maximum thickness of 4-3/4 inches (120 mm).
Finally, Kingspan K9 is NFPA 286 compliant, has a Class A flame spread rating and is easy to handle and install.