Sprinklers Prevent Major SC Apartment Fire

Originally published by: WACHMarch 1, 2012

The following article was produced and published by the source linked to above, who is solely responsible for its content. SBC Magazine is publishing this story to raise awareness of information publicly available online and does not verify the accuracy of the author’s claims. As a consequence, SBC cannot vouch for the validity of any facts, claims or opinions made in the article.

LUGOFF, S.C.  - An apartment sprinkler system prevented a major apartment fire at a Lugoff complex Wednesday night.

Firefighters from Lugoff, Pine Grove, and Blaney Fire Departments responded to a fire alarm activation at the Hallmark Apartments on Roy Truesdale Road in Lugoff around 7:45 p.m. Wednesday.

The complex had been evacuated when firefighters arrived.

Upon entering a second floor apartment that had moderate smoke coming from the doorway, firefighters discovered that two sprinklers had been activated.

The sprinklers completely extinguished a stove fire in the kitchen area of the unit.

The responders were able to shut off the sprinkler system and replace the sprinkler heads to put the system back in service.

All fire damage was limited to the kitchen area of the apartment. Water damage from the sprinklers affected two apartments.

The affected apartments were closed when the department shut off power to the rooms as a precaution due to the water from the sprinklers.

The American Red Cross assisted the two families evacuated from the fire with temporary housing.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental from cooking and the total loss will be assessed by the insurance company.

“This fire had the potential to be a major fire affecting a lot of people, including the safety of our firefighters, if the sprinklers were not there to stop the fire from spreading throughout the apartment and adjoining apartments. I cannot emphasize enough the value of having fire sprinklers, especially in apartments and homes, to give occupants a chance to exit the structure or be rescued before smoke inhalation occurs” Lugoff Fire Chief Dennis Ray stated.

Ray reminds everyone that the Lugoff Fire Department installs smoke detectors free of charge to those who cannot afford to purchase them or are unable to physically install them.

Ray also encourages anyone building a home to consider installing a simple residential sprinkler system during construction; it could save the life of a loved one or a firefighter coming to save them.

Check out this extra section in each digital issue of SBC Magazine for additional news, perspective, and advertiser content. Learn more and access 2016-2017 archives here.