Simpson Addresses Moment Resistance for Wood Columns
Originally published by the following source: Simpson Strong-Tie — January 31, 2017
The following article was produced and published by the source linked to above, who is solely responsible for its content. SBC Magazine is publishing this story to raise awareness of information publicly available online and does not verify the accuracy of the author’s claims. As a consequence, SBC cannot vouch for the validity of any facts, claims or opinions made in the article.
The new MPBZ moment post base by Simpson Strong-Tie, the industry leader in engineered structural connectors and building solutions, is the first product of its kind to provide moment resistance for wooden columns or posts. This innovation reduces the need for knee bracing, providing Designers, contractors and do-it-yourselfers greater design possibilities for outdoor structures.
The patent-pending MPBZ is ideal for freestanding structures such as carports, fences and decks. It features an innovative, overlapping sleeve design, which encapsulates the post, keeping it from rotating around its base when lateral loads are applied from above.
The MPBZ’s ability to withstand lateral loads greatly reduces or eliminates the need for diagonal knee bracing to provide more versatility in creating open-air structures with unobstructed views. The product is engineered and tested to save specifiers and contractors time and expense involved in designing, calculating, and ordering custom-fabricated parts.
“Our customers have asked for a moment-resisting product like this for more than 10 years. We’re excited to now offer this innovative post base that will expand options for building freestanding outdoor structures,” said Sam Hensen, Simpson Strong-Tie vice president and general manager for Connectors. “It’s available off-the-shelf, reducing the time and cost of having a part custom fabricated. The product has had extensive testing, so all the load information Designers need is easily available.”
Key features and benefits of the MPBZ moment post base include:
- Overlapping sleeve design wraps the bottom of the post to resist overturning
- One-inch (1") tabs at the bottom to provide code-required post standoff prevents wood rot caused by standing water and ground moisture
- Indicators and internal tabs easily identify the required concrete embedment depth
- Strategically placed holes simplify installation with template attachment and facilitate post-installation inspection
- Optional holes are provided for attaching additional trim material
- Weep hole allows for water drainage
- ZMAX® coating provides corrosion resistance for exterior and preservative-treated lumber applications
- 4x4 and 6x6 sizes are available off-the-shelf
- Single-piece design facilitates easy installation
For installation information about the MPBZ moment post base, visit strongtie.com/mpbz.