Deck Attached to Floor Trusses Dramatically Saves Construction Worker's Life in Apartment Building Fire
Originally published by the following source: EHS Today — March 26, 2014
The following article was produced and published by the source linked to above, who is solely responsible for its content. SBC Magazine is publishing this story to raise awareness of information publicly available online and does not verify the accuracy of the author’s claims. As a consequence, SBC cannot vouch for the validity of any facts, claims or opinions made in the article.
A construction worker is thankful to be alive after being redcued from the fifth floor of a burning apartment building Tuesday.
A neighbor captured video footage of the worker dangling from a ledge as flames engulfed the luxury apartment complex near downtown Houston. After falling onto a balcony below, a ladder truck rescued the man – just seconds before the roof of the building started to collapse.
The worker was treated and released on the scene, according to ABC KTRK-TV in Houston.
Investigators are trying to determine the cause of the five-alarm fire, “which forced dozens of construction workers to clear out, only to see months of work go up in flames.”
- NIOSH Data Affirms AWC/NAHB Approach to Firefighter Safety not Fact Based
- Heroism: Remembering Another April Firefighter Death Linked to 2x Floor Joists
- AWC & NAHB Author Original Code Change Proposals Effectively Banning Floor Truss and I-joist Use
- How Floor Trusses Became an Endangered Species, the Politics of it All
- AWC/NAHB Provision Eliminates Free Market for Floor Trusses & I-Joists in Ohio
- SBCA Continually Advocates for a Common Sense, Fact-Based Approach to Fire Safety
- If 60% of Structure-Related Firefighter Deaths Occur in Conventionally-Framed Buildings, Protect Everything Equally
- Colerain Fire Reports & Videos Where 2 Firefighter Died from Fall Through Unprotected Floor Joists
- Remembering April 4, 2008: Colerain Ohio Residence, 2 Firefighter Fatalities from Fall Through Unprotected Floor Joists
- Deck Attached to Floor Trusses Dramatically Saves Construction Worker's Life in Apartment Building Fire
- 2 Firefighters Perish Battling Unprotected Basement Floor Joist Fire
- 3 Firefighters Injured in Roof Joist Constructed Building Fire