Colerain Fire Reports & Videos Where 2 Firefighter Died from Fall Through Unprotected Floor Joists
Originally published by the following source: FirefightersCloseCalls.com — April 4, 2014
The following article was produced and published by the source linked to above, who is solely responsible for its content. SBC Magazine is publishing this story to raise awareness of information publicly available online and does not verify the accuracy of the author’s claims. As a consequence, SBC cannot vouch for the validity of any facts, claims or opinions made in the article.
6 years ago today, April 4, 2008, Firefighters from Colerain Township (Hamilton Co, OH) responded to the type of fire dispatch that we all have turned out on many, many times. However, in this case, what was initially a reported automatic alarm-resulted in double Line of Duty Deaths of a Captain and one of her Firefighters.
In a more recent note, Arlene Zang, mother of Fallen Fire Captain Robin Zang Broxterman, is one of the nearly 100 contributors to the new fundraiser book, "PASS IT ON..What We Know, What We Want You To Know." Do not miss Arlenes perspective.
While responding to the AFA, the dispatcher upgraded the run, indicating the occupants were reporting a working house fire. Not long after that Fire Captain Robin Zang Broxterman, 37-years-old, a 17-year veteran career Firefighter and Paramedic, and Firefighter Brian Schira, 29-years-old, a 6 month probationary, part-time Firefighter and EMT with Colerain Township Fire & EMS both died in the Line of Duty after the floor they were on collapsed into the burning basement - at that dwelling fire.
Following that loss, the Colerain Township Fire/EMS Department issued a report (numerous document, audio and video links below) - as well as the NIOSH report - both with valuable details on what happened. DO NOT miss the chance to review these materials, including videos and share them with your crews. Critical details such as the importance of size-up, 360 walk around and other information is of great value to any Firefighter and Officer. As we have seen in numerous other Firefighter deaths, as Colerain Fire Captain Steve Conn stated "There was not one major mistake that caused the death of our 2 Firefighters. There was a perfect storm, a combination several little things that hit all at the wrong time."
The Colerain reports have mattered in several cases, including the City of Defiance, Ohio, where FF's studied the report and following that-applied the lessons at a fire they responded to-and their scene operations were positively altered due to what they learned from Colerain. DEFIANCE FIRE INFO: http://tinyurl.com/d8samzk
THE COLERAIN FIRE, REPORTS & VIDEOS:
It was on April 4, 2008, that Firefighters from Colerain Township and mutual aid companies responded initially to what was a reported automatic alarm. While responding, the dispatcher upgraded the run, indicating the occupants were reporting a working house fire. Not long after that Fire Captain Robin Zang Broxterman, 37-years-old, a 17-year veteran career firefighter and paramedic, and Firefighter Brian Schira, 29-years-old, a 6 month probationary, part-time Firefighter and EMT with Colerain Township (Ohio) Fire & EMS both died in the Line of Duty after the floor they were on collapsed into the burning basement at that dwelling fire.
==HERE is the NIOSH Report: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/reports/face200809.html
==HERE is the Colerain Township FD Report, Radio Traffic And Related Details: http://www.colerain.org/department/fire/lodd/
SEVERAL IMPORTANT RELATED VIDEOS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRWm0OnoOPo (Initial Scene Interview)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGB4yKsXOi8 (Initial Media Report)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2dsAzikvBw (Coroners Report Video)
- NIOSH Data Affirms AWC/NAHB Approach to Firefighter Safety not Fact Based
- Heroism: Remembering Another April Firefighter Death Linked to 2x Floor Joists
- AWC & NAHB Author Original Code Change Proposals Effectively Banning Floor Truss and I-joist Use
- How Floor Trusses Became an Endangered Species, the Politics of it All
- AWC/NAHB Provision Eliminates Free Market for Floor Trusses & I-Joists in Ohio
- SBCA Continually Advocates for a Common Sense, Fact-Based Approach to Fire Safety
- If 60% of Structure-Related Firefighter Deaths Occur in Conventionally-Framed Buildings, Protect Everything Equally
- Colerain Fire Reports & Videos Where 2 Firefighter Died from Fall Through Unprotected Floor Joists
- Remembering April 4, 2008: Colerain Ohio Residence, 2 Firefighter Fatalities from Fall Through Unprotected Floor Joists
- Deck Attached to Floor Trusses Dramatically Saves Construction Worker's Life in Apartment Building Fire
- 2 Firefighters Perish Battling Unprotected Basement Floor Joist Fire
- 3 Firefighters Injured in Roof Joist Constructed Building Fire